Not Enough Hot Water?
Is your bathtub not getting enough hot water for a luxurious soak? Do you run out of hot water during a routine shower? Running out of hot water is never any fun and can be caused by a few different issues. Read below to see what might be causing your hot water to run cold. You can also contact us 24/7/365 to speak with a water heater expert. Let us help diagnose the problem and determine if you need service for your water heater.
- On a gas water heater, the gas control valve (thermostat) could be broken.
- The dip tube inside the water heater could be bad, causing a reduced flow of hot water through your pipes.
- If you are new to the residence, the tank may be undersized for your needs or smaller than the water heater in your previous home.
- If your water heater is old (8+ years), or if you live in an area with hard water, your water heater could be full of sediment. This will reduce the amount of hot water a water heater can make.
- Your hot water needs/habits may have increased over time.
- For an electric water heater, one of the electric elements or thermostats could have burned out.
In general, as a water heater ages and nears the end of its useful life, it will produce less hot water. Most often, this is caused by sediment building up inside the tank. Sediment build-up will decrease the amount of hot water your water heater can produce. Usually the water heater will be noisy or make a loud rumbling sound if sediment is the problem. Sometimes, the sediment can be flushed out of the water heater to fix the problem and sometimes it can’t. Replacing the water heater may be the only solution.
A bad or faulty part can also be the source of not having enough hot water. Over time, parts can wear out causing the water heater to malfunction. Most often a bad gas control valve or a faulty element can easily be replaced to get your water heater working at top efficiency again. If the water heater is over 10 years old, it’s a good idea to consider replacement vs repair. Most water heaters have a life expectancy of 8-12 years.
An expertly trained Water Heaters Only, Inc technician can diagnose the problem with your water heater, letting you know exactly what the solution is. Most often, we have the parts available to replace or fix your water heater right away. Call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-835-8041 to speak with one of our skilled water heater experts. We’ll schedule an appointment for an on-site diagnosis with one of our technicians to solve your water heater issue quickly.